14 jan. 2011

Inspiration chock

Lately, I've been spammed by artists for a concept artist position I announced a couple of days ago. Which is lovely, because I've been looking for one for a month and time is slipping away - almost time for next deadline!

Luckily I found a couple of great artists to help me out, and going from no concept artist to four concept artists is a big win, even though not all of them are professional or are working for free. With so little time to next deadline, I need all boost I can get. Question is how fast they can work? Remains to see!

All this talk about concept art made me hungry for drawing again - and inspired! I've been looking through maybe 40 different art galleries on fantasy and sci-fi and animanga drawings, some where astonishing, others where breathtaking. And there were those that weren't much of a hype. Nevertheless, they all inspired me to start sketching again, as I had put down the pen for quite some time now. Not that I didn't want to sketch, but partly because there where no time, and partly because I had this awful period of no inspiration whatsoever. As soon as I tried to draw a line, that line was horrible and had nothing at all to do with what I tried to accomplish.

Maybe something happend during my birthday - right, I turned 22 on Jan 8th *yay* and am leaving more of those freaky teenager hormons behind like never before! Seriously -.-' No big party or a birthday cake, just me, my sister and my friend spending the night i turned 22 with watching a cozy movie. Or that was the plan. The movie, Twilight Eclipse, caused both my friend and my sister to scream and shout and take sides like it was a football game, and there we sat rifftraxing the whole thing. Anyway, that could have had some impact on my inspiration!

And since my brother forgot about my online project and didn't pay for the webhotel where all my work is, the website is down at the moment. Ofcourse I've fixed this, but it will take a day for it to get reactivated. And that gave me time to start sketching! ^^ (turning bad energy into positive energy, check!)
Typically, I've started with manga again, and that's the way I want it. What I was surprised by, was that I tried drawing a masculine character, with some success!! Not even when I used to draw, did I manage to draw a masculine face, so I really feel the inspiration flushing my brain *wooh!*

With three, rough character sketches, I feel I've started to remember what I learnt during a character design course I took last year. And all those books and websites I've visited, and the tutorials I've followed... My hand has begun to have some connection with the pencil I'm holding (a BIC pen with 0.07mm lead, my favorite weapon). Honestly, I feel in heaven.

This year, 2011, is a promising year. Leaving 2010 has been such a relief, and now, not only do I think I'm ready for a job, but also that I think I'm more satisfied with myself, I code but don't have to stop drawing because of that. And I'm also building up my skills to become more administrative and a great leader.
Yes, I've discovered that I really enjoy managing projects, to put up a stable and exciting plan and to have everything planned out - I feel safe building the road before walking on it! And somewhere inbetween I also manage to act as a designer, writing my GDD, thinking properly about what's important, what to highlight, what to take on later, where in the process I am and what next step should be. It's a funny thing that if anyone had asked me about these things six months ago, I'd have looked totally dumb and wouldn't have anything to say about it. As a matter of fact - been there, done that. I wonder what my teacher thinks of my progress now... :P

More roles to take on? Well I finally bought a system camera, a Nikon, and shocked my parents with the total price - Happy new year mom and dad! - and now I'm so pleased by the control I have over the settings! I can finally take some experimental photos and have fun with capturing moments. And take awesome pictures ofcourse!
What more to come? I've been thinking of an iPhone lately... I'm not much of a cell phone person, I use whatever works to call with, but with an iPhone, I can try out that "Game Dev Story" game I've been longing for to try out, and have more games than Snake 2 and Sudoku to enjoy during buss drives. Hmmmm....

3 kommentarer:

  1. Nice that the recruitmentspree payed off! =) (I even saw your comment on Eric Perssons blog. We go to the same class, he is a really good, wellrounded artist!).

    Ohh Game Dev story seems alot of fun! I'm thinking about buying an iPod Touch to keep an eye on AppStore, and later maybe a HTC-phone, to get the best of both smartphone worlds. =)

    SvaraRadera
  2. Oh och grattis i efterskott ju!!

    SvaraRadera
  3. Thank you! And really thanks a lot for the twitter promo, I really appreciated it (pre-birthday gift?) :D

    OMG you do?! XD well I've become an international artist-hunter, what can I say :P But yeah I liked his style, just what I needed for my game =) such a small world though lol, If you meet/get in touch with him, please thank him for being very nice and helpful, although I was a total stranger in panic x)

    Oh so that's how the HTC works! Interesting... mucho interesting..

    SvaraRadera