31 dec. 2010

Reviewing 2010

Finally. Another year.
So much have happend and I've been thrown on and off stuff to deal with. This year has really been a tough year, really torned me out, and I won't miss it.
Despite that, I remember my post January 1st 2010. It was chaotic and I was in panic. I was afraid not to be good enough for anything, I didn't know what to do after the graduation, and I had communication issues with my family haha. Let's review that.

First, the graduation, I nearly didn't get to graduate! I and my partner had problems with finding a subject and it was impossible to write about stuff as we had so much to do with another course and we weren't good at communicating with each other. Then I was on my own the last month, and failing would have a huge negative impact on me, I panicked. Three weeks before the final deadline, I talk to my tutor and I notice he's given up on me, although not completely, he knows I'm a hard worker, but with three weeks and almost nothing done... But I tried. I sat day in and day out and researched, read, wrote, organized... I slept at 5 o'clock and woke up by 7 or 8. Tough times, but I managed to write a thesis - and I'm proud to say I got a B (in Sweden we don't have B+ or B- etc) - two points from full points because obviously I didn't meet the previews deadlines. Oh well, it turned out really great, thank God.

Even the other course, my project work with 5 others, was a mere catastrophy, due to lack of passion and skills. I hard a hell of a hard time managing the development the last two months, and as the term ended I was so tired I could cry. But I also managed to get a B on it. Hard work pays.

As for the rest of my list from last year's promises blog post:
¤ MORE PROGRAMMING -> Check!! I feel confident enough to work with other, and to work independently. As a project manager I've a better grasp at how the process goes and how to use methods to manage that.

¤ Less stress! - well, I've been through a lot of personal things so I never fullfilled this one :( But thinking about it, I do think that I've more peace in my mind now as I've... well, leveled up in some way! I just hope next years don't bring as bad news as this year did.

¤ More drawing - yah! Although not at the moment, but I've taken a character design course which taught me LOTS of tips and to draw bodies.

¤ Organize time better - forget about that. Don't even bother to discuss is. Just.. don't.

¤ Play more games - Check! A bit better now as I've graduated. Although I'm still not an avid gamer (do I need to be one to become a highly skilled programmer/game developer?), I buy plenty of games, even old PS2 titles (while cursing the stores for not sharing my money with the developers since the games are too old).

The most difficult task I thought was:
¤ Be nicer to my family - Success! Well, it's a long way to go but we really are relaxed with each other now. I think after all we've been through, like when mom hada stroke and stayed abroad for three months, I and my dad had to face each other and like... talk! I mean really talk, like there was nobody else to talk to (there wasn't). And so our conversations began to be more relaxed and he actually tells me he loves me now :P man, we really had issues before... As for the rest of my family, we become closer, but my sister who's 18 yrs old, she been behaving alienish and it feels like nobody knows her anymore. I hope 2011 will bring some nice changes on that as well.


And now, here I am, I have a bachelor's degree in computer and system sciences, I'm much better at programming and project management, I'm studying international game produciton on an advanced level by managing a game project with 4 others located in Sweden, USA and Great Britain. I've organized everything myself and am working independently.
My promises this year are to finish this project on May/June and have a nice, polished game on my portfolio. Another promise would be to build a proper prortfolio - for this I'll need to gather my old work and make it downloadable or something. Oh and... hahaha, a friend made me promise to start looking for love xD

Well, this year's challenges, although harsh, have been a huge level up for me, and I'm not afraid anymore - I'll enjoy life and step proudly into 2011.

Happy New Year, everyone!
/Kweiko

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar