10 dec. 2009

Saving Private Lego?

And lastly we put words on an idea that our teacher suggested to our thesis!

Shortly put, it's about two Mindstorm Lego Robots that co-op to get an object (or more) out of a labyrinth. The first goes in and puts lego pieces as a trace mark.
When finding the goal, it sends signals to the other robot to come, the other robot follows the trace of lego pieces, gets there and brings the first robot back. Since Robot #1 is carrying the object, Robot #2 will have to carry the lego pieces on their way back to the start point, and put them in some sort of holder.
It all sounds like Saving Private Ryan. I like it.

The programming language we're planning to use is LeJOS. There are other alternatives, like RobotC, pbLua and BrickOS, but we felt going safe and use LeJOS - it's based on Java, which is the language we're most familiar with.
RobotC gets a lot of credz, but it's C-based and that scares me off. I started with C++ directly. Oh, good, because BrichOS uses that. Well... I'm not THAT good in C++, even though I want it to be my major programming language in the future.
And pbLua is based - as most of you have guessed - on Lua! Nope, we haven't studied that script language.

Besides, Java IS fun and according to Wiki and some other sites, LeJOS have a plug-in for Eclipse and guess what: we have worked in Eclipse before! *banzai*

There are more information on these and other programming langauges on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Mindstorms_NXT#Programming
This fellow had the same problem and chose LeJOS as well, but it's interesting to read the comments: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/664615/lego-mindstorms-programming-which-language-ide-do-you-use-recommend
And this one has a table on the languages' attributes: http://www.teamhassenplug.org/NXT/NXTSoftware.html

Hopefully I made the right choise here. If you know of other helpful sites, especially on LeJOS and programming languages that uses C++ (like BrickOS), please feel free to drop a comment about that.

And now the real work begins. I think I'll get a hell of a new year, planning both thesis and a game project, making games in both Java and C++. I don't know if I'll manage, but I'm so glad that all of it sounds exciting, or I'd be dead by now.

/Kweiko

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar