9 aug. 2010

Final project

Ok, I'll keep the long story short. My project course... I still haven't get a grade on it, the teacher seems to have gone for a vacation and still haven't returned yet :(
But after a huge hassle with the hassle we managed to get an almost-a-game done in Unity3D. The last month of the course, half the group were inactive and we must have looked like Crusoe after all those years on an island, but what's important is that the teacher bought it. We could have done it more smoothly though. Here are three of, what I think, were our biggest problems:

Communication: We weren't synched with each other, there was always someone missing, people were too busy/lazy/sad to come to the meetings so half the group was always behind in the updates. We had MSN-meeting to enhance the whole thing, but some of us simply didn't take it seriously.

Effort: The more time passed, the less motivated everyone became. This was partially due to the lack of good communication, but also the lack of remarkable progress. We weren't experienced enough to do things right from the start, so there were a lot of "walking in cirkles" scripting until we, 3 months later, finally got a hang of Unity3D, C# and scripting in general. I think that's normal but back then we were allready tired of not having a constant, fine work flow. Most of our group simply gave up after that third month.

Production overview: Firstly I have to say that we had an extreme luck to have someone in our group who really knew the whole process of making a game. The rest of us were kind of aping around and guessing what's next to do. But because of the minority of experienced people - and NO tutoring at all - we often made wrong decisions and focused on the wrong things. Of course, I am really happy about learning everything and have gotten a great experience from it, but the learning curve never seemed to become to our advantage. We seriously needed to step back and look at where we really are heading, but I guess "young and naïve" works in this context as well.


But what's done is done. I'm still waiting for those last five points to appear in my uni account, so that I can officially graduate and have my bachelor's degree. I really need to get them soon, because of things happening at home right now. But more on that in a later blog!

Until then - take care!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar